Monday, November 8, 2010

Growing in Health and Wholeness is Not an Option in the ARC


During our ARC Midwest Gathering, speaker Lee Grady asked us, “Have you ever moved after twenty years or more, and in the process, pulled your refrigerator out? When you did, were you shocked when you saw all the gunk that was back there?” I have, and yes, there was a lot of gunk back there. And yes, I agree with Lee’s point that our lives can be like the gunk behind that refrigerator.

There can be old emotional pus wounds from the past that are influencing our present in unhelpful ways. There can be old defense mechanisms that once may have helped us survive but now need to be released. There may be strongholds, patterns of acting and reacting, that we run to when life gets stressful rather than running to Jesus. There may be unhelpful beliefs, even lies, which we have rationalized and justified with spiritual sounding language. Whatever it is, we need God’s transforming power to clean it out of our lives.

“Prayer will keep changing your life.” So said the words I read during my coffeetime with Jesus. Words penned by R.T. Kendall in his book, Did You Think to Pray?

“The Christian faith is the beginning not only of a relationship with God but also of an ongoing changing of your life. Paul calls it being changed from “glory to glory” (2 Cor 3:18, KJV) which means being transformed into Christ’s image “from one degree of glory to another” (ESV). I am seventy-two years old as I write, and I would blush to tell you how much changing I am still having to do. It is embarrassingly wonderful. My first reaction is, ‘Lord, why didn’t You show me this before?’ or ‘Lord, how could You keep loving me so much when You knew all the time what horrible faults I have?’

When I retired from Westminster Chapel in 2002 at the age of sixty-six, I was not prepared for how much I would learn about God and myself in what is supposed to be my ‘retirement’ years. We never stop learning, and we never stop growing” (Kendall, pg. 31).

I want to be like R.T. Kendall when I grow up. I want to be that humble, that vulnerable, that teachable, that mold-able before the Lord. If R.T. Kendall realizes he still has changing to do, how much more do I? How much more do you? However, will we be as courageous as R.T.? Will we dare to admit that we still have changing to do, seek out safe place relationships, and with those friends, intentionally cooperate with the Lord so He can heal us, free us, and transform us by the power of Holy Spirit?

In the ARC, growing in relational, emotional and spiritual health and wholeness is not an option, Beloved; it is a must. It is a must because the people we have been called to lead and serve will catch more from who we are than what we have to say or teach.

Keep growing in health and wholeness. Don’t stop, don’t settle for less. The more healthy and whole we become the more we will speak, think, act, and lead like Jesus.

God bless you as you invite the Lord to work in your hearts; and as you cooperate with Him that we might be transformed more and more into the image of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment