Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Part 3 - For Mission, Not Merely Ministry


This is part 3 in answering the question: Why should I attend an ARC Gathering on the Empowering Presence of the Holy Spirit this year? Why should you and I attend? To stir one another to lives of mission, not merely ministry. To be filled afresh with the presence and power of Holy Spirit who can increase our effectiveness for both.

As I write this I am on vacation with my wife, Debi. We’ve been graced with the gift of a condo by some friends from a former parish. It’s on the third floor and overlooks Manzanillo Bay in Mexico. This morning as I have my coffeetime with Jesus, I find myself writing the following in my journal:

“I’m on the balcony in Manzanillo, strong cup of Sumatra coffee on the table beside me. The waves are crashing on the beach below as I read O. Hallesby’s book, Prayer. I find myself beginning to pray Matthew 9:37-38 about sending workers into the harvest based on something Hallesby wrote in his book. I’m praying for God to use the ARC to send workers into the harvest to reach those not yet present. I’m praying that none who are called into the harvest will remain home. I’m praying that God uses the ARC to send us, as lovers of God to intentionally love those not yet present. I’m praying God sends us into the world with a passion for lost souls…

A passion for lost souls. Are we passionate for the salvation of the lost? I am theologically. I used to be practically. Now, most of my time is spent in ministry to those already present. Nothing wrong with that, unless it’s at the expense of rationalizing away reaching out to lost souls. Is there a passion for lost souls within us? Have we settled into caring for those already present at the cost of those not yet present? Oh God, make me, make the ARC passionate for lost souls. Make us passionate for mission, not merely ministry. Give us a longing to go where the lost are already gathered to love them you’re your unshakable and extravagant love. Give us Your heart for those not yet present.

I’m reminded this morning of the words of theologian and friend, Ray Anderson: ‘Those who are gathered around the meal of Christ must arise with the mission of Christ burning in their hearts. We sup with Christ in order to run with Him. The church needs to unleash her members and become a sending church rather than a gathering one.’ I’m reminded of Acts 4:29-32: ‘Now, o Lord, hear their threats, and give us, Your servants, great boldness in preaching Your word. Stretch out Your hand with healing power; may miraculous signs and wonders be done through the name of Your holy servant, Jesus.’ After this prayer, the meeting place shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they preached the word of God with boldness.’”

Why attend one of the ARC gatherings this year? It may be one place where we can all gather in the same place at the same time as the disciples in Acts 4 were and cry out to God. Cry out for a passion for lost souls. Cry out for a filling of the Holy Spirit that will stir that passion within us. Cry out for a filling of the Holy Spirit that gives us a holy boldness and enables us to proclaim and demonstrate the Word of God with genuine power from on high. Oh God, use us for mission, not merely for ministry. Oh God, cause us to rise from the table with Your mission burning in our hearts so powerfully that we cannot remain within the walls of our churches and homes. Oh God, fill us afresh with Your Spirit. Give us a holy boldness. Impart to us an authentic experience of Your power for mission, not merely ministry.

1 comment:

  1. Good word Mike!!! " ... arise with the mission of Christ burning in their hearts ..."

    I am looking forward to the conference in June. Maybe someone might come with ... I shall work on it!

    TE+D

    ReplyDelete